"Meatless, but why", was the response I got from my Husband (and head coach of CFCBR), Brendan. Anyone who knows Brendan; knows he loves his meat. He even has his Red Meat for breakfast to increase dopamine level, which improves his energy and focus.
Whilst I wanted to try meatless for one dinner a week, it had nothing to do with wanting to be vegetarian or the "Meatless Monday" movement. I simply felt like I could use a break from meat every once in a while.
Sure, I had my doubts too when it came to a meatless chilli con carne, but after reading Katya's recipe and thoughts on little broken, I thought I'd give it a go.
Meatless Chilli Con Carne
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 small onion
1 red capciucum
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tsp. chilli powder
225g brown lentils
400g diced tomatoes
1 bay leaf
500ml vegetable stock
Himalayan Pink Salt and Pepper to taste.
1. In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and capsicum; saute the vegetables until soft and lightly browned. Stir occasionally to avoid sticking.
2. Stir in minced garlic and chilli powder until fragrant.
3. Add lentils, tomatoes, bay leaf and stock. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to boil, lower the heat and simmer, partially covered for 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
4. Transfer three cups of chilli into food processor and process until pureed; add back into the saucepan and stir to combine.
5. Serve with your regular extras!
NOTE: If you like your chilli spicy, add chopped jalapenos or chilli flakes at step 3 for some extra heat.
Did you try the recipe? Let us know how you went in the comments below!